… fa la la la laa etc etc. And normally I am the first one up with the Christmas tree (fake – I have hoovering OCD) and tinsel, and the first one to overdose on Quality Street, cry at the Brave Little Toaster (why is that always on at Christmas? Since when are toasters festive?), and sneakily poke at the presents under the tree to check whether anyone has bought me a box of Matchmakers (traditional Christmas gift in the Nadin household, since 1975, though we are still struggling to forgive them for making them longer and the box square). But this year, it’s not Christmas I’m waiting for, but the New Year. Partly because I am as keen to take the tree down as I am to get it up (nothing like a nice tidy front room). But also because the New Year brings shiny new books. Or in my case, shiny new books, and shiny new versions of old ones. Not only are there three new Penny Dreadful volumes out starting in March (complete with an attempt at a world record, which I’ll tell you about later) but the whole of the Rachel Riley series has been updated and is being reissued, starting with My So-Called Life on January 1st. Obviously Rachel’s life is still tragically normal, and she’s still desperate for something, anything to happen. But she’s doing it all with fancy new covers, and an end in sight, as the seventh (and final, at least for now) book of the series is also heading your way (though that’s a story for New Year 2014). So, a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year, from me, Rachel, Sad Ed, Scarlet, and the Dog, if he isn’t locked in the shed for eating the Matchmakers again.
- The youth of today. I ask you.Stole this from the Met’s Christmas tree next to the spinning cheese yesterday. This is a lovely scheme, which meant hundreds of London kids in care and in need got Christmas presents last year. I’m doing it again this year. I hope you will too.Surprising PaddingtonPause Yard MenaceThere is a light...To be read. I *may* have engineered it so I get some @sarra_manning time next
- I love a teen with initiative https://t.co/i1e4zmNxhI 2 hours ago
- RT @greenacrefilms: Fab news- JAA has scooped 2nd prize for live action children’s drama at the prestigious #Chicago Children’s film festiv… 6 hours ago
- Dear Booking.com. Yes I once went to Plymouth for a work thing. That doesn't mean I want to go there ev… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 13 hours ago
- Saw my lovely little brother yesterday, and he encouraged me to steal this off the Met’s Christmas tree. This is a… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 13 hours ago
- I just waded through the river that is Whitehall right now. In fake fur low rise Converse. Which was nice. 1 day ago
Search this site